BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40420
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : Detroit Tigers : Reading "Game 39: Detroit Tigers 2 Minnesota Twins 0" Thread

Message #177 of 252  *NEW*
To:  All
The Olde English Ds  
Subject:  Game 39: Detroit Tigers 2 Minnesota Twins 0
Date:  5/17/06, 8:08pm
graphic
Unbelievable!!! Excellent pitch and timely hitting from the bench led the Tigers to their sixth straight victory and seventh team shutout on the season. Detroit is now 13 games above .500 and with Chicago’s win remained tied for first in the AL Central. Justin Verlander displayed wisdom well beyond his years in a great battle against Cy Young winner Johan Santana. Verlander pitched eight scoreless innings without walking or striking out a batter. He limited Minnesota to six hits and only five outs went beyond the infield. Verlander did receive help from his defense as Justin Morneau singled in the fourth, but Michael Cuddyer was thrown out after rounding third too far. Verlander induced 10 ground ball outs and 12 fly out with seven of the fly outs not even reaching the outfield. He only needed 103 pitches to get through 8 innings compared to the 116 thrown by Santana. While Verlander was recording quick and easy outs Santana took a sexier path by striking out 12 batters. However, Verlander got the best stat of them all by earning the victory.

With the victory Verlander becomes the third Tiger pitcher with at least five wins. The other two starters have four. The offense punch came in dramatic fashion off the bat of back-up catcher Vance Wilson. With Shelton on base with a walk Wilson turned on a first pitch fastball lining it over the fence in left. The eighth inning home run, Wilson’s first on the year, was all the support the Tiger pitching needed. Wilson is having a much better year offensively than last year as he is now batting .312 in 11 games. In 2005 he hit .197 in 61 games played. Once again Jim Leyland took out the crystal ball DHing Pudge and resting him from the catching duties. Leyland has been uncanny about making the right move or line-up at the proper time. The only thing I could nit-pick on is the fact that Inge committed his eighth error on the year. Who cares? No harm no foul and things keep going right for the Tigers.

*** OEs 3 Stars of the Game ***

#3 Todd Jones – Save (11), 1 IP, 1 H, 0 Rs, 1 BB, 0 Ks, 3.65 ERA
#2 Vance Wilson – 1-3 with a HR and 2 RBI
#1 Justin Verlander – Win (5), 8 IP, 6 Hs, 0 Rs, 0 BBs, 0 Ks, 3.18 ERA

On Tap – Game 40 (26-13) v. Minnesota Twins (17-23) May 18th, 1:05 ET
Kenny Rogers (6-2, 3.23) v. Brad Radke (4-4, 7.57)

--------------------------------------------------------
Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #177
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

7007 reads

This message has been added to these BGEEKS Blogs:

The Olde English Ds's Blog

Message #178 of 252  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds
The Olde English Ds  
Subject:  Re: Game 39: Detroit Tigers 2 Minnesota Twins 0
Date:  5/17/06, 8:39pm
graphic
AL Central Standings

W L GB
Tigers 26 13 -
W. Sox 26 13 -
Indians 19 21 7.5
Twins 17 23 9.5
Royals 10 27 15

Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #178
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

7667 reads

Message #179 of 252  *NEW*
To:  The Olde English Ds's Blog Thread
therealPaws  
Date:  5/18/06, 8:51am
Ask rmayer, I called the lineup changes walking into the park (specifically I said infantiago would be in for polanco and vance would catch today, i didn't know pudge would DH, I thought that would go to Thames, but he was dissed again). That proves Leyland is a genius, I think. Anyway, what a game! The twinkies could not get around on the fastball and half of their outs came on fly balls just out of play. They got behind in the count over and over often whiffing on strike two and then just attempting to make contact, which they did to avoid striking out, but their was probably only 7 good swings, two of which went near the wall, but Grando chased those down and the other hits resulted in no runs thanks to great defense (Maggs getting the ball in so fast resulted in the out at third you referred to, he beautifully read the bounce of the angled section of wall in right) and piss poor running by Minn. One complaint I had also was about B Inge, it was obvious the hit and run was on twice while he was up and he failed to even make contact resulting in a pickle and maggs getting out and then with a runner still at third, he got struck out the next pitch, then it was on again and guillen got doubled up on Inges second of, I believe, three strike outs. But in his defense, Santana made every batter whiff on strike three at least once (minus santiago). His sinker is sick, our best chance is to just swing at the first pitch fastball that he brings 80% of the time. Anywho, Go Tigers, best record in MLB, not looking back!

Reply to Msg #179
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

8153 reads

Message #181 of 252  *NEW*
To:  therealPaws
The Olde English Ds  
Date:  5/19/06, 11:25am
graphic
It was nice of Leyland to take the blame for Inge missing the sign on the squeeze bunt by saying he should have warned him about the possibility. However, Inge needs to be paying attention and catch the sign. With nine home runs and 23 RBIs I really am not to concerned about him missing the signs this game. Particularly when they were able to overcome that and still get the victory. The errors recently are concerning though. Not only does Inge have 8 errors, but Carlos Guillen leads the league with 10 misplays. The good thing is the rest of the team combined only has 8 errors and Guillen has been a solid defensive player during his career.

Go Tigers!!!

Reply to Msg #181
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

8148 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter